Marine Science Administrative Assistant
|Location:||St. Petersburg, FL|
|Description:||Performs responsible, general clerical, and administrative support work requiring accuracy, attention to detail, organizational skills, and computer knowledge. Duties include but are not limited to such tasks such as answering telephones, greeting the public, word processing, filing and training student assistants on all technical functions and processes related to the necessities of the main office. Work involves initiative, flexibility, and excellent interpersonal skills to work with co-workers and the public.|
|Duties:||• Provide general administrative support for the faculty of marine science and marine superintendent.|
• Assist in clerical duties for the NAS faculty and Collegial Chair when NAS Administrative Assistant is unavailable
• Coordinate assignments and activities as needed with other NAS staff and with the NAS Administrative Assistant; organization and setting up of social functions for the marine science discipline and NAS Collegium
• Serve as secretary for the Collegial Senate
• Serve as receptionist and greeter for the Galbraith Marine Science Laboratory (GMSL) main office; recording and distributing phone messages in a timely manner.
• Document preparation, including correspondence, manuscripts, and exams (generally by electronic means), as needed to support the educational and research programs, with priority given to documents required for classes and laboratories; this would also include proof-reading, editing, copying, and faxing, as necessary.
• Responsible for preparing the annual Eckerd College Student Research Symposium program
• Purchase supplies for faculty, GMSL office and laboratories
• Assist with invoices and reimbursements
• Reconcile monthly P-card expenditures
• Learn Banner-related duties such as record keeping, accounts payable, approvals, and reconciliation
• Conduct inventories of office supplies and small laboratory and classroom equipment, e.g., microscopes and media technology, and keeping the office stocked with supplies.
• Assist with Marine Science faculty searches by arranging candidate travel and interviews, and social events
• Upkeep of daily tasks, such as distributing incoming and outgoing marine science faculty mail, faxing, running errands, and filing
• Keep the GMSL office neat and orderly
• Keep a current calendar of meetings, special events, student pay-days, and other important dates
• Update hallway bulletin boards and building swipe card access list
• Update existing marine science web pages by coordinating with Instructional Technology Services
• General inspection of the GMSL facility, on a continuous basis, for issues related to building appearance and function, e.g., floor, ceiling tiles, leaks; initiate and follow-up on requests for building maintenance
• Maintain a helpful and supportive attitude toward students and faculty with regard to the use of administrative, academic, and laboratory facilities
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Direct students and visitors to offices, classrooms, and other GMSL facilities
• Working knowledge of important campus contacts and general office information (i.e. registrar's office, business office, campus safety and security, facilities, etc.)
Position Directly Supervises (name/title)
• 1-3 student assistants or work scholars per semester
|Qualifications:||• Qualifications Profile|
o Working knowledge of secretarial principles and practices, and office procedures and techniques.
o Excellent interpersonal skills.
o Excellent command of the English language, both written and verbal.
o Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
o Excellent organizational and time management skills, and attention to detail.
o Superior keyboard skills, with a high level of speed and accuracy, and familiarity with the use if e-mail and internet browsers.
o Perform secretarial and clerical duties with speed and accuracy.
o Prioritize tasks and complete work in a timely manner.
o Have a team-oriented approach to service and problem solving.
o Hire and supervise student work assistants.
o Maintain confidentiality when necessary.
o Have a professional phone and office presence.
o Maintain a welcoming and positive office atmosphere and maintain a good relationship with faculty, staff, students, and the general public.
• A minimum of three years of secretarial or related administrative duties.
• High school diploma required, supplemented by secretarial training, courses and/or workshops. Some college preferred and/or Certified Administrative Professional (CAP) designation.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.